welcome

The Ripe Stuff is a personal and lifestyle blog that was created to reflect a way of positive thinking, constant learning and growing.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Creating the Perfect Workout Routine

Ask just about any average-shaped woman who wants to get in better shape what their fitness goals are and they'll probably tell you the same thing: tone and lose fat. How do we achieve this though?!

Years ago, I found the answer to be running. I was about 20 pounds overweight after spending a semester abroad in Lodon and eating and drinking all that I could fit in my mouth (and stomach...and thighs...etc.). I lost the weight and felt amazing. However, consistent running begins to wear on your body, and though I'm fortunate enough to not have had an injuries *knocks on wood*, I've found I am not able to achieve my current fitness goals on the strict basis of running. It's time to switch it up.

I've been doing a lot of research, hoping to learn about the best form of exercise for women to lose body fat and gain muscle tone. Here's the answer: there isn't one. It's a combination.

The good news is, I can still incorporate runs into my workouts, but they will be different types of runs. Long, leisurely outdoor runs will be more of a treat than anything, because they aren't really doing much for my fitness goals besides maybe keeping some fat off. Instead, I will need to amp up the HIIT-- that's High Intensity Interval Training, as well as strength training. I found this great forum in which users go into great detail about what's been working for them. I still need to refine my strength training program, but I'm very excited to finally figure out what is missing from my routine! Here's what I'll be doing.

Mon: Back and Biceps
Tues: HIIT
Wed: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps
Thurs: HIIT
Sat: Legs
Sun: Long run or fun class

I'm off to the gym now to try out Legs and HIIT. I know it's not in the schedule, but I'm really excited and can't wait to try it!

Enjoy your Saturday :)
-Riana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers