welcome

The Ripe Stuff is a personal and lifestyle blog that was created to reflect a way of positive thinking, constant learning and growing.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The South Beach Diet

After a few months of getting back on track after my food-filled semester abroad, I've had some success after rigorous workouts and runs. I'm training for a half-marathon (August 28th in the Bronx) so that has definitely helped. However, I can't seem to shed the pounds anymore!

I know that when the body gets used to the same thing (food, exercise, etc.) it can cause weight loss to plateau. So, I have decided to try the South Beach Diet! Though the first two weeks of this diet are very restrictive, I have read great reviews about it and a few people I know had great weight loss success while on the diet. Not only that, but it is also supposed to curb your carb cravings!

The first two weeks of the diet, called "Phase 1," promote a diet based on protein (lean meats, fish, nuts, cheese) and vegetables. However, carbs and sugar are cut out of your diet almost completely. That means no fruit, alcohol, sweets, pasta, rice, etc... At first I had my doubts. But after day one, I am confident about the remaining 13 days of the phase. The amount of protein, cheese, and vegetables I am consuming certainly makes up for the carbs and fruit. In the book, Dr. Arthur Agatston, cardiologist, says that you should lose 8-13 pounds in these first two weeks! If that isn't encouragement, I don't know what is.

I'm on day two now, and looking forward to my lunch of a salad with grilled chicken (cooked in canola oil). Snacks could be a string cheese stick, nuts, and vegetables with cheese. There are other options, but these are my personal choices. To find out more about the diet, you can either buy the South Beach Diet book, or you can research and find out all about the diet online before committing!

I'll track my progress after the first week is completed!

x Riana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers