welcome

The Ripe Stuff is a personal and lifestyle blog that was created to reflect a way of positive thinking, constant learning and growing.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Fighter - Drugs + Girls = My First Boxing class @ NYSC!

Just finished my first boxing class ever and my hands are still shaking as I'm managing to write this blog post. I've taken kickboxing before, and have some experience with martial arts (I was a yellow belt at the age of 10 and can karate chop like its my job), but neither of these were like the real, down-and-dirty, combat of boxing.

I go to New York Sports Club in Chelsea everyday and have tried various classes, but usually keep it pretty simple with pilates, weight-lifting, abdominal workouts, and cardio. However, today I decided to try something new.

My roommate Jenna and I did not realize what we signed up for, but we quickly found out after wrongly hitting our first punch with the right hand and consequentially had to get down and do twenty. Our instructor didn't cut us a break but we were the  brunt of a few jokes in the beginning. I decided I didn't want that weakling reputation and stepped it up.


Now, we can't stop going on about how much we loved it! The sweaty, action-packed hour filled with squats, push-ups, left and right hooks, and most importantly, attentiveness, made me feel really strong and powerful. The rest of the members of the class encouraged each person when it was his or her turn to get in the ring. The instructor didn't let us quit and was always reminding us to block our faces. Jenna and I can't wait to try it again. We won't be one of the "First-time-last-time"ers. If you want to try something new, no matter how small you are, definitely give boxing a try. But be prepared to not be able to text for a good hour or so after the class because your fingers are shaking from clenching the gloves #firsttimergirlproblems.

Don't think you're up to try boxing? Check out another class to switch up your everyday routine at the gym! Challenge is always great for your body and it is definitely beneficial to your fitness to add something new to the mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers